Matthew Jones is a proud Torres Strait Islander, whose family hail from Erub Island located in the eastern cluster of the Torres Strait.
An experienced Financial Professional in the SME sector, helping business owners improve key business drivers and increase liquidity across a number of industries. Outside of work, he enjoys following and playing a number of sports, cooking a mean barbeque breakfast and spending time with his young family.
- Look forward test – where was I going to end up in 5-10 years? [1:28]
- Why Matt chose accounting as a career path [2:04]
- Civilian or Military lifestyle? [2:51]
- Recently launched his business, Sager Business Advisory [3:26]
- Why he launched an Indigenous financial firm [3:45]
- Challenges in the Indigenous business sector [5:37]
- How to price yourself in the market [6:55]
- Challenges Indigenous people face accessing finance and bank loans [7:58]
- Are you having problems with the finance company you’re working with? [15:25]
- “What we’ve been hamstrung by is the 3 C’s (financial capital + social capital + connections) so you don’t have the money but you also don’t have the recognition or backing to get the money in the first place, and then you don’t have the connections to support the first two points. Until we can address these three factors, I think it will be hard for us to close the gap.”
That concludes today episode of Indigipreneur. If you would like to know more about Matt, please connect on social media or add him on LinkedIn –> https://www.linkedin.com/in/matthewjonesnogardaustralia/