Remote (online – help from home).
Volunteer Details – beggars can’t be choosers, any help is appreciated where you can…
Seeking WordPress developers to help out who have a focus on front-end development to assist with projects. You will assist us with constructing WordPress themes as per PDF and Figma mockups. We will provide all content, images, and SVG assets.
You will be a part of the Barayamal Team where you will support First Nations Entrepreneurship which we believe can change the world for the better.
- Designing and implementing new features and functionality
- Establishing and guiding the website’s architecture
- Ensuring high-performance and availability, and managing all technical aspects of the CMS
- Helping formulate an effective, responsive design and turning it into a working theme and plugin.
Knowledge, skills and experience required (desired):
We currently use the Advanced Custom Fields plugin to create custom fields per post-type, but are currently testing its use within the new block editor, and how we structure our Sass projects to deal with that. There is a Craft CMS project in the works, but not on the table yet. Any experience with Craft CMS is useful but not a necessity.
We host our development sites on a staging server, and have a separate instance setup purely for production. If you prefer to work locally, or on a staging server let us know. We can provide SFTP access.
- Bedrock (roots.io/bedrock)
- Git VCS
- Twig (Timber) Templating
- SCSS Preprocessor
- LEMP (we’ve already configured)
Our preference is to use modern development practices (ergo, last 2 major browsers). Working knowledge of Flexbox is a must.
- Make a real difference in closing the gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians and creating a better world for all who live in it.
- Acquire essential skills and knowledge to progress in your chosen field.
- Build or strengthen your resume to secure employment, specifically with respect to networking and fundraising skills.
- Grow your professional and business networks across Australia.
- Increase your professional or leadership capability.
- Strengthen your cultural awareness and corporate culture.
Community Need and Positive Impact
According to the latest government employment study, the Indigenous employment rate fell over the past decade, from 48% in 2006 to 46.6% in 2016. Over the same period, the non-indigenous employment rate was broadly stable, at around 72%. The Government has failed to close the disparity and opportunity gap over the last decade despite spending billions of taxpayer money…
By supporting First Nations Entrepreneurship we can help re-shape these statistics and our communities for the better.
Today Barayamal is now known as a world leader and our growing number of partners are on a mission to help close the (massive) disparity gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians.
We do this by building technology solutions, running business accelerator programs, free events, the Indigipreneur podcast, school-based education and by investing time and funding Indigenous startups, which are the high-growth economic and employment solution.
Help us create more jobs or build technology solutions that make a real difference in our communities by joining the movement now!
Note: this is a volunteer role. Barayamal is a registered charity with the ACNC and is powered by volunteers who want to help and give back to our community.
0458 980 232
Volunteer Preparation for Meeting the Organisation
Everyone has a cultural identity and diverse traditions, heritages, and experiences but by understanding and accepting other cultures we can achieve reconciliation.
Please read our article on “Indigenous vs Western Entrepreneurship: what it means and why it matters” and view our values before applying to see if we align.
Training and Induction and Resources for Volunteers to Use
Challenge Level of Position
Some Discipline Related Skills Required (some mentoring by the supervisor will be provided)
Communication Level of Position
A high standard of English language proficiency or interpersonal skills are required (verbal and written)
Autonomy Level of Position
Highly autonomous. Limited mentoring for the role is available